I made challah bread today, because I really like its taste. Its taste is a little sweet, and it tastes mostly like bread. It is soft.
My favourite part about making challah bread was when I could braid the challah bread. After I braided my challah bread I brushed egg on the challah bread and then I waited for 10 minutes. After, I put more egg on the challah bread and the egg made it shiny.
And I waited for about another hour and I put it in the oven, and then I baked the challah bread, and then I let it cool down, and my Mom took pictures of me and Berend with my challah bread.
I really love my challah bread.
For the sponge:
- 1 1/2 c. warm water
- 2 T. yeast
- 2 c. bread flour
- Mix all the ingredients together and let them sit for an hour.
For the dough:
- 1 recipe sponge
- 1/2 c. warm water
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 3 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 c. oil
- 6 c. bread flour
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Add all the ingredients (except the egg for the wash) together and knead them in a stand mixer, with the dough hook, for 10 minutes.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Divide it into three pieces and roll them into ropes.
- Braid the dough ropes and place braid on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Beat the remaining egg, and brush it all over the loaf.
- Let the loaf sit 10 minutes then brush it a second time.
- Let it rise for another 50 minutes, then bake it for 50 minutes at 350.